Goal setting is the key to having a better year...
Video duration is 3 minutes and 30 seconds.
I love New Year’s because it’s a time of “do overs.” To have a better year than you had last year you need to make some adjustments. If you keep doing things the same way, you’ll keep getting the same results. That’s why every holiday season, I block off time to evaluate the last year and to make plans for the new.
I want to ask you a few questions as you go into 2016.
- What are two are three things that worked well for you…not just things that you want to repeat, but things that you’d like to improve on?
- What are things that didn’t go well…things that would be absolutely a waste of time to repeat in 2016…things that you need to trim out of your schedule?
- What are two or three brand new territories that you’d like to conquer?
Write your lists down and create specific goals from them. Your goals must be:
- Specific as possible – Don’t say “I want to lose some weight.” Say, “I will lose 25 lbs, by March 1st.”
- Measurable – How will you measure your success? If your goal is weight loss will you use scale weight, dress or pant size, fat %, etc.?
- Attainable – Don’t set yourself up for failure. Choose a goal that stretches you but is doable.
- Relevant – Your goal must be consistent with who you are and with the overall direction of your life.
- Time specific – Create a concrete start and end date for reaching this goal.
This is the formula for SMART goals. Here are a few additional tips that have also served me well.
- Write your goals down – This will greatly increase your chances of success.
- Find a reliable person to hold you accountable…someone that will not buy into excuses or be too easy on you.
I want to encourage you to plan so you can live your life intentionally and strategically. I’d be happy to work on this with you. In fact, that’s why I wrote Becoming a Fearless Leader, which you can access for free.
Please leave your comments below! Tell me one or more plans that you have have for a better year.
If you enjoy this please share it with others!